Sunday, January 17, 2010

Welcome to New York.. the place that dreams are made of.. there's nothing you can't do..


Five-ish years ago I fell in love with two things and I only got to keep one of them. The boy I loved became my husband but New York City, my other love, became "the one that got away...."

I spent the summer of 2006 working in the city, for a city-famous stylist Alexia Kondylis. I worked with a group of beautiful, talented people, saw great things, fell deeper into my romance with my "second love," the city. I was also in my third trimester of pregnancy with a little baby, Henry. At the end of a beautiful summer, I left my city behind and went home again to quaint Ohio, to raise my little darling in the safety of the suburbs.

In the years that have passed I've dreamed of my city love, missed it, cursed myself for letting it get away. I traded dreams of one kind for dreams of another. I have two beautiful little ones and no big city at all. My little ones are the loveliest things I could ever ask for, but I left a piece of my heart, and my dreams, back there. I promised myself at age 43 (the year Jonas graduates high school) I'll move back to the city and enjoy a vibrant second youth and breathe in the energy every day, but for now, here I am.

I've just signed myself up for another teasing taste of the city love, I can't help it, I'm an addict...

I've been accepted to two art shows there this summer;

The Spring Craft and Fine Art Fair at the Nassau County Art Museum (Long Island)
May 22-23, 2010

and The 34th Annual American Crafts Festival at the Lincoln Center for Preforming Arts (Manhattan, 64th and Columbus Ave.)
June 19-20, 2010

So I'll travel there, see the beautiful things, drink in the city aura I long for and miss, dream of staying there forever, and, for now, come home fulfilled....

For more info..
http://www.craftsatlincoln.org/index.html

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful. Nicely stated. I like the way you work your life into your work and work into life. Keeping writing these short "personal" pieces.

    ReplyDelete